Friday, April 4, 2014

Trips Down Memory Lane Make You Realize Why...

A week ago this past Thursday, one of my friends whom I met from kickball requested that I rummage through my photo archive to find some old photos for them.  I agreed and I realized that on Tuesday night, that I needed to get the photos onto a flash drive for delivery Wednesday.  Since the A's were rained out that evening (first since 1998) and I planned to go to the game, I had some extra time to just relax and thumb through about 4 years of kickball photos.  At first I felt this was going to be a menial task where I would just pick a few photos, but searching through and viewing these photos reminded me about why I am doing what I am doing in kickball and in life.

I was invited to play kickball in 2010, by an old high school classmate, but I said that I would be unavailable during one week because I would be headed to Las Vegas.  I didn't want to miss any games, so I requested that he ask me again when the Fall Season started.  When the Fall Season started, I realized how much fun playing an elementary school game and then throwing back a few drinks afterwards could be.  I found it so much fun that I started to bring my camera to take photos of my teammates during every single game.  Here I was meeting new people and reconnecting with those from my past who I had met, but did not really get a chance to hang out with them.  Not knowing what was going to happen in the future, one of my teammates asked me to be the league photographer for the next season.  Fast forward four years and I am still the league photographer for the WAKA - Oakland kickball leagues.

----

The 2014 Neptune League season started in Late February/Early March and going into that week, I felt like I was "going through the motions." To be honest, I felt disinterested in playing and wondered if I really could survive another calendar year playing kickball.  I just feel like it wasn't doing it for me anymore.  It showed in my play as I was honestly rusty and as a catcher, I dropped a couple of catches that I normally would make and we ended up losing.  My kicking and bunting was not up to what I wanted it to be either.  I was truly frustrated about my performance.  After the game, I spoke with my co-captain and I addressed my concerns with him.  He believed that the team was just a little rusty and with the new players, we just needed to make some minor adjustments and teach.  At the bar, we got into a deeper conversation and it kinda dawned on me then that the new players are absolutely pumped about the league.  Here we are veterans of a kickball league and these new players come in wanting to enjoy themselves and embark in a new chapter in their lives.  I continued on...

----

Oakland kickball leagues are played at Mosswood Park in Oakland and like going to the O.co Coliseum, it is not a perfect place, but it is my home.  There have been car break ins, numerous lighting issues, double field bookings for our weekend tournaments, people randomly walking through the middle of our games without realizing what's going on to drug addicts randomly dancing around in the outfield partially nude.  Most nights play goes without incident, so it's not all bad.  While talking to others we wondered, "Is there a new park that is needed with perhaps better lighting?"  We played a few seasons in Alameda, but the problem was that the public transportation wasn't the best.  Alameda is well known for police officers pulling over folks for going 26 in a posted 25 mph zone.  With Oakland, the lights are hit or miss with currently left field lights out, but right field lights work.  Unfortunately the right field lights are being blocked by a big tree, so that does basically nothing to help the cause.  Sometimes, there have been various times where the lights weren't even turned on.  However, the bar and the field are a few minutes walk from BART and the league is centralized so those who come from Contra Costa County to San Francisco can attend.  It's the quirks that can frustrate us, but in the end we do love them.  I wasn't sure though because I was questioning to myself if this was enough...Was it worth it to be here?

----

As I searched through the first CD (Bayshore Summer 2011) at about 10pm, I began to realize how bad some of the photos were and how many people I have meet through the years playing the game.  I didn't even realize that I have known some of these people for almost 4 years until I looked.  Each calendar year, Oakland Kickball has between 4-5 organized seasons and people come and go.  While searching through the photos, I see what makes WAKA Oakland unique from other leagues.  The constant theme nights, the flip cup, the fun and competitive games make it a different week every week.  From here I realized, that I once was a rookie in this very same league, embarking on a new journey in my life not knowing where it would take me.  Now seeing a clearer picture, I realized how long I have known these people.  I recognized faces so quickly from the past and those that are still in the league today.  I looked at photos of kickball heartbreak, joy and excitement at the field and the bar.  Relationships were made and some perhaps forgotten.  In most cases these are young professionals looking to just "getaway" from the rigors of the 9-5 and blow off steam while having a beer, or three.  The light at the end of the tunnel became just a bit clearer...

----

This past Thursday, I felt like I have come full circle in realizing how far I feel like I have come in my enjoyment for the league and the people in it.  I had the joy of helping out someone who is new to the league this season referee her first game at home plate.  She said she was nervous, but I felt she did very well.  The communication skills were excellent and she was fair letting the players decide the game.  I made a couple of very nice catches and also helped the team win with bunting and base running skills.  In my opinion, I felt like I played my best game of the season being focused and I feel like I am ready for the stretch run in search of winning my fifth league championship (out of 14 seasons).  After our game completed in which our team won 10-7, I grabbed my camera and took photos of the later games enjoying my time talking to people I have known throughout the years and those whom I had just met this season.  I was able to complete four players for future Kickballers of the Week.  At the bar, I was just sitting back and talking to my co-captain and another rookie teammate people watching, which is one of my pastimes.  I love when I go to Las Vegas because I see all sorts of people just hanging out.  I feel that just a little bit of body language in a person can be reinvigorating from all shapes and sizes.  Whether it is a smile from someone seeing the Paris Las Vegas Eiffel Tower for the first time to someone just turning 21 and celebrating with their best friends, it is amazing.  When I run half marathons, I try to run for time, but at the same I just look around and see those around me.  You see people of all shapes and sizes that are off their couches and are trying to make themselves better.  Who really cares if you finish first or last in a run?  What you did is all of the hard work and time you put into your training and here you now are with a medal around your neck that makes everything worth it.  When I see someone smile or laugh, that brings joy to me because they are truly enjoying that moment...

----

Three hours later after a truly emotional ride, I looked at my clock and realized it was time to go to bed.  I had a golf lesson in the morning and then kickball that evening.  I typed a Facebook status on my wall which said, "Trips down memory lane make you realize why you truly love what you do...Thank you WAKA Kickball - Oakland

Here is to continued success to meeting more and more people and following the passions that you love "...Why You Truly Love What You Do"

No comments:

Post a Comment