Monday, April 1, 2013

All About the Fans...

If the Oakland Athletics ever wanted to have a glimmer of hope for a 162-0, then they really need to not face Seattle Mariners Cy Young Award winner and future Hall of Famer Felix Hernandez.  He once again baffled A's hitters as the Mariners took Game 1 of a 4 game set.  To many fans, it feels like the A's will probably never win an Opening Day game again, which is probably the case at this point.

You really could just start the A's Season with 0-1 for
every year from here on out.  Maybe 2014?
Sniff Believes 2014
Due to work, I was unable to make it to the tailgating that all you great folks had.  I saw people on twitter post the photos of the wrestlers and all of the awesome foods.  I think next season I will have to just take the day off from work and go tailgate.  When we got to the lot though, the excitement was in the air for another season of A's baseball.  As I wrote previously, I feel like the A's are going to be vindicated in 2013 and today certainly had that feel.  The fans who came out tonight were outstanding.  I will admit they were not as loud as the playoffs, but they were really into the game with their rally towels, etc.  Also what helped the cause was starter Brett Anderson struck out the side, which is very encouraging to see.  He seemed to have left off after Game 3 vs Detroit.  Even though he took the loss, he pitched great and kept the A's in the game.  He wiggled out of a couple of jams, but just the bottom of the order did him in.
Touching First Pitch Ceremony

I am really not one for attention, so I get somewhat embarrassed when I see myself Rage on the Diamond Vision board in the highlight videos.  I have learned to live with it and just really look to laugh at my dorky self from now on.  Speaking of which, the A's did a great job on showing videos and thanking the fans for what they have done throughout the years and last season.  Some season ticket holders greeted the team as they came out for introductions and some held the American flag in center field during the Star Spangled Banner.   A pair of fans unveiled the spanking new 2012 AL West Division Champion banner on the left field wall which was very touching.  The A's though saved their best for last....the first pitch.  A woman by the name of Barbara Angellar threw out the first pitch with the longest tenured A's Security Guard, Ed Love.  I found it ironic that their names included Angel and Love in the, but it was very fitting.  Even though I may have never met Mr. Love, I know that he works his job to protect the people and make sure everyone is safe at the yard day in and day out.  Mr. Love, thank you for your service to the A's.  Mrs. Angellar is also a very touching story.  According to Dick Callahan, the A's public address announcer, Mrs. Angellar's husband passed away in 2008, but she continued to purchase season tickets for her husband year in and year out.  This is definitely true love and she is certainly an Angel.  If I ever get married, I hope to find someone that would do something like that for me.

Who are these guys? Help?  They wanted a photo...
Continuing on with the fan theme, I felt like the game took a back seat even before it started...  I took some photos with some old faces, Nicole, Deanna, Carrie, and found and spoke with many other fans whom I met throughout the course of the past few seasons.  After Anderson struck out the side in the first, I headed over too meet the Scott Hatteberg fanclub (Lauren and Liza).  I actually think though that Liza may be leaving to the "I touched AJ Griffin's Hair Fan Club" soon.  Are you allowed to be in both?  A funny moment happened though.  While hanging out with them, two guys, perhaps wasted asked me to take a photo of them...  If you know them, please forward them to this blog and tell them they made it to Sniff Optimism.  I then headed with both of them to meet up with Lucas whom I met on twitter.  I give everyone who drives more than 1 hour to see their team play.  Very commendable.  You are true die hards in the sense of the word even though you may not live in the area.  You may not be able to make it to many games, but you are always there in spirit...Lucas and I then headed over to meet up with the leader of the Inge-A-Turtles who will be coming out with a new name this season.  Whatever you do, please do not get anyone hurt or traded in 2013!  That would really, really suck...

The only question I really had tonight for the A's was why didn't Melvin PH Young for Jaso instead of Norris?  Well it didn't work this time as all Opening Days the past 9 years.  Just move on.

Other Sniff Thoughts...

No "Double Dub" tonight as the A's lost, but the Sharks won, so if I had to pick one to lose, I am ok with the A's losing.  The Sharks need more wins right now as their season is winding down to the playoffs.  Apparently the Sharks scored 3 goals in two minutes which makes me think it could possibly be a franchise record of some sort.

I still need a name for this section.  Please let me know if you have any ideas at all.  If the current name works, then tell me to as I could always use some positive or negative feedback.  If you tell me my blog is a pile of crap, then please tell me so and how to improve it.  Sorry, but telling me to stop posting, will just make me want to post more =P

Oh and just for my fans...this is what I wore to the game tonight...If you see my twin, please tell him to come on over as I will be in the bleachers Tuesday...

This is me...I hear there was another me
at the game tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment