Sunday, April 21, 2013

Keeping Things in Perspective from a Trying Week

Exhaustion cannot even begin to describe the week that was from April 14-20.  Like the rest of you, I was on the social media platforms when news first broke in Boston.  My first thought was shock because as many of you know, I run half marathons and have run a full.  When I found out that the MIT Police officer that was killed was a WAKA Kickballer, hit even more too close to home.  I may not know anyone that was directly affected by the events in Boston, but my heart is certainly with them.

Messages Like This Flashed across Stadiums all over the USA
Events like the tragedy in Boston puts everything in perspective.  Sports teams can really distort a persons view of a region.  I know many people that "hate" the New York Yankees as much as the Boston Red Sox.  When I saw New York standing with Boston after the tragedy, it meant so much more.  Yankee and Red Sox fans who have a mutual "hatred" for one another realized that they needed to do something "bigger than the game."  A baseball rivalry that meant so much a couple of days meant so little... Another example of this was the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres starting a series Monday evening.  Going into the game tensions were high after Padres outfielder Carlos Quentin was hit by a pitch and charged the mound at Dodgers' pitcher Zach Grienke, breaking Grienke's collarbone.  After Monday's attacks that didn't mean much anymore.

During the week, the sporting events that I attended were very tempered, but still competitive.  Instead of seeing another teams colors, I saw three colors; Red, White and Blue.  For those that are too young enough to remember the September 11, 2001 attacks, this reminds me so much of that.  Media reports say this is more related to the Sniper shootings in 2007, but I disagree.  Watching the images on television and seeing the photos, reminded me how much the human race can come together in a tragic situation.  First responders run towards the danger, not caring about their personal selves.  Samaritans jump right in to see what they can do to help the injured.  Though it is a graphic image and I wont post the link here, Peace Activist, Carlos Arredondo helping out Jeff Baumann who just lost both his legs in this bombing is etched in my memory forever.  Arredondo lost a son in the Middle East and was rooting the racers on while carrying an American flag.  I can only salute him for what he did in the situation.  

AMERICA!!!!
After the Boston bombings a fertilizer plant exploded in West, Texas just outside of Waco, which put an America that was on edge even more on edge.  Fear and Paranoia is everywhere where suspicious packages were reported in public places and I don't blame people.  Then later on in the week, an MIT police officer was killed and then then there was a shootout in Watertown, which is just a stones throw from Boston.  At first there was just fear that something else in Massachusetts was happening, but I am pretty sure that the public was relieved that the shootout was related to the two men who bombed the marathon.  I am also glad they caught one of the suspects alive because the families who were directly affected by this want answers.  The public wants answers on why something like this had to happen during what was supposed to be a time of celebration in the New England area.  Let's hope the answers come sooner, rather than later.

On a normal week, I would have tweeted a ton of stuff regarding sporting events that I follow.  The A's  are on their way up to Boston after being swept by the Tampa Bay Rays.  The Sharks are still doing well as they try to clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup playoffs and the new acquisitions are paying dividends.  The Warriors almost stole Game 1 against the Denver Nuggets in the NBA Playoffs and are now without David Lee the rest of the season due to a torn hip flexor.  Usually I would have some opinions, but this week, I just sat back and put things in perspective.  As much as my life revolves around sports and the seriousness of it, this week meant not much after Boston and West.  The sports was just a getaway from life for a couple of hours and I enjoyed that.

My heart, thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families who were directly affected by the tragedies in Boston and Waco.  I hope that you can find peace once again in your lives.  For those who weren't directly affected, remember to hug your loved one as you never know what tomorrow will bring.  

Stay Positive and Show Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment