Thursday, April 4, 2013

Quadruple Dub and Kickball

Awesome to see the "Quadruple Dub" from the sports teams Wednesday; A's, Sharks, Warriors, Imperial Walkers.  Wait what?  Why are you including a team name from a Star Wars movie reference in this?  This is why I am unable to attend games on Wednesday nights.  I play in a 21 and over adult kickball league.  We play Wednesdays at Mosswood Park in Oakland.  The team that wins the league is an automatic qualifier for the WAKA Kickball Championships in Las Vegas.  I have never played in Vegas though as it coincides with a half marathon I have been doing in Long Beach.

Kickball is a little bit more competitive than grade school
Anyways, to recap the scores they were 6-2, 4-2, 98-88 and 12-3 in that respective order.  It's nice to see all my teams doing well and winning.  For the A's, it is their first victory of 2013 and nice to see Jed Lowrie and Chris Young come through in a big way. The Sharks are playing some great hockey right now moving up to 4th in the West and winning their 6th straight game.  The Warriors lowered their magic number to clinch a playoff spot to 3.  My kickball team that I play for won and I went 2-2, with a double, two runs scored and 2 RBI.  I am also the league photographer for the league, so I am able to take a ton of photos.  Most of them are never posted as they aren't very good or just really not completely appropriate to post on the internet, so please don't ask.  Honestly, it's not that bad anyway.  This league is just a whole bunch of adults trying to get away from the rigors of the work week or school week.  This is also a great way to meet new people as well.

Flip Cup, Slap Cup; It's all about the aaa-alcohol
For those that haven't played kickball since grade school, this game is a little bit different.  First and foremost, this game is way more competitive as winning your league tournament gets the team an invite to the championships in Las Vegas if your team decides to enter.  There is a lot of bunting involved kickball as well.  Sure, you have your players that just are able to kick the ball a mile, but that is not always the case.  You need to strategize as well.  Most of the rules are similar to baseball, but only 5 innings are played.  You are allowed to hit someone with the kickball, but only if it's below the shoulders.  Fouls and strikes are different from each other as you are allowed 4 fouls before being out.  There are still 4 balls for a walk and 3 strikes for a strike out though.  Afterwards, the fun part starts as the kickballers pile into their cars and head over the McNally's on College Avenue.  This is our sponsor bar and "team shots" are given out, then drinking games and fun are to be had.  This is obviously where people can meet others and just hang out and have a drink.  I know quite a few people that have meet and dated and sometimes married meeting through kickball.

This is always been one of my favorite signs at McNally's
For those that are interested in taking a peek at the other blog I helped began and write for, check it out HERE.  If you are over 21 and interested in playing, let me know and I can tell you when the next league begins.  Our Thursday league will probably start up in Late May or so...

Anyways back to the A's for a second as I wrap up this entry.  Another thing that I have thought about is many people tend to put the season under a microscope after for about 10-15 games or so.  After that, things seem to usually settle down and teams and fans just settle into the season.  I know that many fans were frustrated yesterday, including myself wondering how the hell do the A's not have a win yet?  Well now since they have a win, they can focus on splitting the series and heading out on the road to face Chris Carter, Brad Peacock and the rest of the divisional rival Houston Astros (it's still weird hearing myself write and say that).

Keep up the Faith!

Other Sniff Thoughts

I run the San Francisco half marathon this weekend.  For those that want to find me, I will probably be wearing my home A's cap I got from a giveaway a couple of years back.  Also, any idea on what I should splurge on after the run?  I was thinking about a steak, but I decided against it.  Maybe a burger?  Wingstop perhaps?

Props to Nate "I have never been pass AA" Freiman who played in and collected his first Major League hit and RBI Wednesday.  Great moment for you kid and I am glad you did it with the A's.  Also man, can I have some of your height?  I could use another 2-3 inches...Please?

My car started today without a problem.  Just a minor bump in the road.  I just hope when my battery dies for real (it eventually will), I am actually near home and not in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment