Friday, April 5, 2013

How Far Can Yo Go?

While the A's were making their playoff run last year, I noticed that many people had hopped on the "bandwagon" and I started seeing more of their gear around town.  I was really curious to see if that would continue onto this season and thank goodness it has.  In my kickball league there is a select few of us that wear A's gear on a consistent basis or we talk about the game.  We even throw in the occasional Moneyball reference or two.

A's gear EVERYWHERE!
The one thing I do not get and please explain is people that still wear the stickers on their hats?  Is it a fashion statement of some sort?  I don't know.  Every time I do see them though I think about this Comedy Central Key & Peele piece about Dueling Hats.  If you have a few minutes please do watch it.  I found that skit after trying to find out why my friend used an alias Javarison Lamar on his facebook page. 

Anyways, I had to drive to San Jose for work this morning and saw more A's gear than Giants' gear out, which surprised me.  Maybe I was just looking for A's gear or something, but that is what I saw.  Even when I stopped off in Milpitas at Ranch 99 for lunch, I saw the same thing.  I really was trying to figure out why they weren't at the ball game or something as probably the threat of rain scared the fans away from the O. co. this afternoon.  Speaking of scary, I want to know how Yoenis Cespedes can line drive a baseball out of the yard in about 1.5 seconds flat.  If this guy gets some elevation on his swings, the ball could seriously end up in Reno or something.  I hope that the A's can let their fans view their batting practice for longer than 20 minutes, because I have seen the likes of Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, Josh Hamilton, etc. put on a show at the Coliseum.  Watching batting practice baseballs go to the 2nd Plaza Level Outfield just above the batters eye on the fly is a common occurance.  Also, for those that want to see A's mammoth home runs, check out Mark McGwire's homer that hit the Jacobs Field scoreboard on the fly and also the Jose Canseco home run from the 1989 ALCS.  Another one I need to find is a video that McGwire hit off Randy Johnson at the Kingdome in Seattle.  I seriously think Cespedes can rival them in terms of distance.  I also think that Cespedes will lead the league in home runs and get AL MVP this year too since his head his now clear from the struggles of his family last season.

Stay Positive Everyone!

Adapt or Blog


Thanks to Keith B., I now have a new name instead of "Other Sniff Thoughts".  It is called "Adapt or Blog" and for those that do not understand the reference check out Moneyball.  Brad Pitt or Billy Beane tells Head Scout Grady Fuson to "Adapt or Die" before Pitt fired him.  This works perfectly.  Thanks Keith!  To thank you, you will keep on getting the Social Reward tweets on twitter that you always enjoy seeing. =P

On a more serious note here, I was talking to someone today about physical abusive relationships and it startles me about why they happen.  Two people fall in love and then bad things happen when physical contact is made.  I feel bad for the children if there are any as they will start having issues. I also will feel bad for the person that is getting abused.  To me, it is a no brainer that this will never happen in any relationship that I have.  If I could just help one person get out of an abusive relationship, I would tell them that "they have the willpower and strength to put the other person out of their life.  They are strong and they would have a group of friends and family that would support them through their rough times. No one deserves to be treated that way, EVER."

No comments:

Post a Comment